I’ve put up a page analysing the examples of Khitan tents in the version of 18 Songs of a Nomad Flute published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Includes yurts/gers of various sizes and complexity, canopy porches, attached vestibules, and wedge tents.
The beautifully detailed illustrations provide a wealth of information about the material culture of one of the 12th Century “proto-Mongol” steppe cultures, on the eve of the Mongol Empire. The Met offers the full book as a PDF download.
with photos of four helmets on display in museums we visited in Mongolia in 2012.
Added gallery of armor in two of the Mongolian museums we visted in 2012.
Added new gallery
of photos of (supposedly) pre-16th century Mongolian archery equipment, from museums we visited on our trip in 2012.
Added a new gallery. Half are photos of the deer stones at Uushigiin Uver, & the other half are from the exhibit at the Military History Museum in Ulaanbaatar.
Note for the Internet at large: This article is about Court ceremonies in the context of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and the people surveyed are New Zealand-based participants in that organization.
I posed the following questions on several local mailing lists, following up responses either in private or on the list as the respondent did:
What makes Court fun/entertaining?
What do you dislike about Court (and if you avoid it, why)?
Continue reading →
Stuff I want to get done (in no particular order):
- set up website to store ongoing and completed projects and research. (in progress, but the fact that you’re reading this is a good sign…)
- Alan outfits
- Mongol hats
- thumb rings
- Georgian court robes for K’s fencing kit
- Georgian Saints
- Georgian names from Tbeti Synod
- more underthings
- get enameling/jewelry studio set up
- finish squid pendant
- put up Mongolian museum galleries
- put up Court doc (probably the next thing I’ll do after typing this list)
- write up Georgian front-opening coats
- write up Georgian crossover coats
- do more OCR on the North Caucasus costume book